My sister and her husband own a guest lodge down in the Mdumbi called Swell Eco Lodge and we had the pleasure of spending a few days down there recently. The lodge is situated on a hill above the Mdumbi river and unlike much accommodation in the Kei which can be rather basic to say the least, Swell offers clean comfy beds, silky linen, mozzie nets, well equipped kitchens and endless seaviews. They have also started catering if you really couldn’t be bothered to cook.
Here are a few reasons why I think you should visit this part of the world
1. Breathtaking scenery that is so unique to this area
2. Great place to be active – We kayacked up the river, I went horse riding along the beaches and into the hills, there are loads of walks to do and we also spent some time on Riaan’s motorbike riding around which was great fun.
3. Seafood is fresh, yum and cheap.
4. The locals in this area are so friendly.
5. In spring time lots of little black piglets are born and who doesn’t love a little piglet.
6. Cows on the beach
7. For fishermen and surfers there are lots of opportunities to play, but if you want to chill with a book then it’s the perfect spot to do just that too.
8. Fabulous place for families as there is so much to do with kiddies.
9. It’s a wonderful place to turn your phone off and get back in touch with yourself.
Click here to check out the portraits I took whilst down there ……