Skip to content

Photographers hair catches alight at wedding – Yes that's me!

Everyone who photographs weddings has a crazy wedding story ….

I always thought that my most ridiculous wedding story was the time I sat in horse poo whilst doing a few groom portraits right before the speeches were about to start. I was sitting in the grass shooting away and when I stood up my assistant gave me a look that indicated that something was very very wrong. She had a reason for the horrified expression – My butt was covered in brown manure! Not cool. What was even more uncool was the fact that I didn’t have another pair of pants to change into and it looked as if I had had an accident in my trousers. There was nothing I could do. I just had to laugh and keep on shooting!

There have a been more incadents but this latest one really has to take the cake!

While photographing Emma and Murrays wedding at Netherwood I stood a bit too close to a candle and my hair actually caught alight! One of the videographers managed to get a clip of it just as it caught alight. Unfortunately he didn’t get all of the smoke as I had hopped out of the wayl!!!! In that situation the only thing you can do once the flames have been patted out is to once again …… laugh and keep on shooting. It was funny. It was certainly a wedding I will never forget that is for sure and my hair did actually need a trim! (although I have to say that it hasn’t been quite the same since then!!)

Thanks so much to Mark Thompson from Beyond Measure productions for freezing that moment in time …. (I think …!) Mark is a dream to work with if you are in the market for a videographer!



  1. Amanda on October 24, 2012 at 5:44 pm

    That is priceless!! I hope your hair returns to its former glory soon.

  2. Roxy on October 24, 2012 at 5:50 pm

    Surely there’s a Kings of Leon song in there…”Woooaaaaaaa Your hair is on fffiiiiirrrrrreeeeeee……..”
    🙂 Shame Jacki, not funny at the time but I had a sneaky giggle watching this, I’m sure you have too 🙂

  3. Alexis Yapp on October 24, 2012 at 5:56 pm

    Thats hectic Jax, funny but hectic 🙂

  4. Brenda Pratt on October 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm

    You are so brave to just carry on! That looks like some serious burning. My gosh!

  5. Lauren Kriedemann on October 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

    oh no Jacs!! so funny probably not funny at the time !!!

  6. Lauren Kriedemann on October 24, 2012 at 6:03 pm

    oh no i watched again and now i cant stop giggling too too funny and the cow poo made my day had to comment again

  7. samantha maber on October 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm

    oh my word — i laughed and laughed and laughed. When you are hot you are hot my babes. LOVE YOU.

  8. Gaby - SouthBound Bride on October 24, 2012 at 6:49 pm

    So shouldn’t be laughing, but I so am!

  9. Tricia on October 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm

    That’s my girl ….. ever the professional!

  10. Monica Dart Photography on October 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

    OMG!!!! my darlingness!!! that is so freaking hilarious….but at the same time not!!!! still laughing! bloody hell, glad that not all your locks were ruined in the flames!!!

  11. melanie janse on October 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

    Whahahahahaha…sorry but that was such a good laugh now 🙂 🙂 awesome!!

  12. Dror on October 24, 2012 at 9:26 pm

    In some cultures it’s considered good luck if your photographer’s hair catches on fire during the ceremony.

  13. Melanie on October 24, 2012 at 9:54 pm

    Hectic! Hopefully it only caught the ends of your hair…hehe

  14. Fiona Campbell on October 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm

    Yikes! Extreme wedding photography… Loving Dror’s comment.

  15. Andrea C on October 25, 2012 at 5:49 am

    OMG that is just too funny, and scary!

  16. Emma on October 25, 2012 at 9:07 am

    jax, you can see how oblivious i was to the massive flames. i only spotted it after i’d smelt the smoke but that is a serious fire. i couldn’t understand why panty was walking across to you so seriously at that exact moment and then i clicked that he’d been the fireman. shame jax, we defintiely didn’t give you enough love and attention to you being on fire, im sure you had to chop off some singed curls afterwards 🙂

    you’re the best photographer in the world. x

  17. Colsie on October 25, 2012 at 11:24 am

    My hair also got burnt by a candle flame a few weeks before our Wedding. This was at the same restaurant where we got married! Luckily, I did not lose a lot of hair 🙂

  18. Bruce on October 25, 2012 at 12:32 pm


  19. Sam A on October 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm

    Girl on fire!
    Well done for staying calm… and hats off to the B&G for laughing it off…

  20. Donna Walker on October 25, 2012 at 4:15 pm

    That is brilliant.What a dedicated photographer!!!

  21. Donna Walker on October 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

    Brilliant. Hot photographer.

  22. Bronwyn on October 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm

    Jacki, I hope we get to meet you one day because you are such a good sport sharing this! Will be watching my ‘ponytail-to-candle’ distance ratio very carefully in future 😉

  23. Brian Kraft on November 12, 2012 at 4:31 am

    Wow! Glad you are ok. That is one wedding that you will never forget. From now on every wedding I photograph I’m scoping out all the candles in advance!

  24. Chanelle Segerius-Bruce on November 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm

    I remember you telling me this story! LOL funny to look back now, just glad you where ok!

  25. Kathy on November 18, 2012 at 12:44 am

    Wow! You poor thing! I’m pretty sure this will be my fate one day lol. So glad to hear that you are ok. Burning hair can be dangerous.

  26. […] photographer writes on her blog: In that situation the only thing you can do once the flames have been patted out is to once […]

  27. 婚禮中攝影師頭髮著晒火! | 易攝誌 on November 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm

    […] PetaPixel via Jacki Bruniquel via HuffPo) […]

  28. […] wrote about the incident on her blog saying, “In that situation the only thing you can do once the flames have been patted out is […]

  29. Photographer’s Hair Catches Fire | iDeal Timing on November 19, 2012 at 11:44 pm

    […] Jacki Bruniquel Photography […]

  30. Tim on November 20, 2012 at 4:31 am

    I really don’t understand what all the laughter was about. I recall a similar thing happening to Michael Jackson years ago and he almost died. Jacki, would you care to explain what was happening off camera? Reminds me of a local girl laughing when she told me her wedding photographer committed suicide a year ago. She told me she was just glad she got her album first LOL. Pretty sick what people find funny these days.

  31. malchick18782 on November 26, 2012 at 10:11 am

    Thisis bad, and can be regarded as a possible excuse for shifting blame to the photographer’s assistant (should there be one present) who was not able to extinguish the fire timely…

    Definitely not fair to the photographer’s assistant who is already busy taking care of camera equipment etc. I don’t like this. To the guests/clients it’s all fun, but to the crew it’s really PIA……

  32. […] On the 29th of September 2012 I photographed Emma and Murray’s wedding at Netherwood in the Natal Midlands. During the service I stood too close to a candle and my hair caught alight. It could have ended badly but it didn’t …… I just patted out the flames and carried on shooting. It was rather funny and certainly a wedding that I will never ever forget !!! Knowing full well that there were heaps of people in the audience with cellphones and recording devices as well as a videographer  I knew that this incadent would hit the internet. I am not afraid to have a good laugh at myself and asked the videographer and my friend Mark Thompson from Beyond Measure Productions if I could publish the few seconds of footage that he got of the whole thing on my blog! You can check out the video as well as what I wrote here. […]

  33. Tatum reid on June 27, 2013 at 1:26 pm

    Way to go Jacki!!

  34. Rensche Mari on June 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm

    Awwh, you rock!

  35. […] open, albeit beautiful, flame, this stuff just happens. Watch as South African wedding photographer Jacki Bruniquel‘s curly locks literally go up in flames when she inches too close to a lit candle during this […]

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Get in touch

Scroll To Top